Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I love fish!

As far back as I can remember, I've loved watching fish. It's so very calming. I've even had some, starting with Melody Sr. & Lelopy Sr. (yeah, I made up that last name). I think I got them for my birthday before 3rd grade. I don't remember them lasting that long after I gave them some nice warm water to relax in after cleaning their bowl - that eternal relaxation! :) Hence, Melody Jr. & Lelopy Jr. came home soon after. These lasted a little longer having learned that fish prefer cool/cold water to warm. My next fish adventure wasn't until high school when I got Beauford, The Goldfish. He became part of the Poe family sometime after we moved to Livingston - I think between my junior & senior years. He was by far the longest living, non-mammal Poe family member! He went to A&M with me and lived until the spring of my (first) senior year. By then, he'd outgrown two fish bowls (a one gallon & a 3 gallon) and lived in a 10 gallon tank! He was a legend and even made it on my 1st roommate's homepage. :) After loosing such a close friend, I took a hiatus from fish ownership until nursing school. One of my 2nd Row Ladies study buddies from nursing school bought a Beta fish, and he was so pretty, my roommate & I decided our apartment needed one, too. So, off to Wal-Mart one night (probably after 10 or 11 PM so we could see all the strange people that appeared in the night time Galveston Wal-Mart . . . a story for another time!) we went in search of a beta fish. We found one, and named him Bruno. Unfortunately, Bruno didn't last very long, so we then brought home Herbie. Betas are some of the prettiest fish with their deep colors! But none can compare to Beauford, The Goldfish!

All that background was to explain why I would drive 2 1/2 hours just to go to an aquarium. :) I was off today, so I decided to head to Atlanta, GA, home of the "world's largest aquarium"!! It was probably the best one I've ever been to. (& I've been to lots) It was a little pricey, but well worth it if you like to watch fish. (If you don't, why go to an aquarium?) I'd definitely put it on my "MUST SEE" list of things to do if you're near Atlanta and have a few hours to kill - like when you're waiting for a ballgame to start. :) The first picture is of a Beluga Whale. They look like giant, white dolphins. I probably stayed at this exhibit most out of all of them. These massive mammals were so graceful and beautiful to watch!





This next picture is of a Hammerhead shark swimming above me as I walked through the tunnel.


And last but not least, some pretty, colorful fish.


I hope you enjoy the pictures! Thanks for reading my ramblings. :) Have a wonderful week!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok...ok...ok... who would have thought that reading about our fish Bruno and Herbie would make me cry! I miss living with you!!

Anonymous said...

ok...ok...ok..... who would have thought that reading about Bruno and Herbie would make me get teary-eyed! I miss living with you!!