Friday, October 26, 2007

Time's running out

As of right now, I only have about 3 more weeks here in North Carolina. As usual, contract negotiations are dragging their feet. :) So, I decided I should probably go & see some stuff on my "to do" list since I had today off. As surprising as it may seem, I headed to the Outer Banks this morning! (not surprised? huh) When my family was here earlier this month, we weren't able to go see the Wright Brothers' Memorial, so I decided to go today.



I'm sure I heard about the history of their famous flights back in at least one of my history classes, but it was one of those things I remembered for the test & forgot as I left that room! So, I learned - again - about their flights today. :)

This marker represents their 4th flight that day, the one that was recorded with the Smithsonian Institute. Something I thought was cool was that a piece of the original machine they used was taken to the moon. How sentimental of NASA!! :)

So, after walking around the memorial for a while, I started back towards the mainland to go to an aquarium. There's NOTHING (at least in my opinion) more relaxing than watching fish swim around. I used to sit & watch my big fish, Beauford, swim as a form of "study break" in college. . . fewer calories than the Moonpie/Sprite Circle K runs!! :) What better way to spend a few hours before another weekend at work, which can be a bit stressful at times?!?

I'm not sure if I've ever been to an aquarium this close to Halloween, so I don't know if this is a common practice, but this one decorated almost all of the fish tanks with skeletons, pumpkins, spider webs, etc. It was pretty cute!

Tiny Sea Horses around the skeleton



After this, I decided I should come on back to the real world (or as real as it gets when you work 3 days and play the other 4 every week!). :) I did see something fun on the drive home, though. I took a different back road coming home than I took this morning so I was in unfamiliar territory. Otherwise, I would have pulled off the road to try & capture it on my camera. With the rain & humidity this evening, there was some fog, but it wasn't down on the ground like it usually is in the morning. These were just little "clouds" of fog caught in some of the trees off in the distance. Talk about setting the mood for Halloween!! Thank goodness it was still daylight or it could have been a little creepy. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I especially like the 2nd part of that quote. I was immensely surprised many years ago when a person at church made a wonderful contribution to a play we were doing with the youth. She exceeded my expectations -- and that was my fault because I had never seen her talent or creativity and had failed to give her that credit. Marm