Monday, October 20, 2008

Blessed, Indeed!

The past couple of weeks have proven to me that God has blessed and continues to bless me above and beyond what I can imagine!


  1. He has given me a job that I love. I truly wish everyone could love what they do for a living! I'm continually reminded of His almighty power each day as He works miracles in the lives of my patients. Things happen and babies live when there's NO medical explanation. It still amazes me to see the faith of some of my patients' families: when faced with this nightmare of a newborn in the ICU when it should be a joyous occasion, they can stand in the grace God provides for that moment. It's a beautiful picture of the scripture 2 Corinthians 12:9 . . . "'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'"
  2. I got to vote today. Having recently moved, I was afraid to change my address officially until I voted. I knew they'd make me register to vote in the new county, and this usually takes a while. Not wanting to miss the opportunity to put my opinion 'out there', I called the voting office in Tyler last week to find out when early voting started. This morning, I went and stood in line to vote. Yep, you read that right. I had to stand in line about half an hour this morning to vote . . . during early voting! I'm wondering if that was just a hint at what's to come these next few weeks. We are so lucky to have the opportunity to vote! I obviously have my own strong opinion about who I want to win the different elections, as I'm sure you do. But, I can rest assured that the person God wants in each office is the person who will win. He is in control . . . even of politics! I know some people are rather nervous about this year's election, and I must admit, I'm prone to worry about it, too. God often brings these two verses to my mind when I'm worrying about our country's future (or other things that I tend to worry about): Philippians 4: 6-7 . . . "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
  3. Last weekend, my dad was in a car accident that totaled his truck. He's FINE. . . the horse didn't fair as well. He was on his way to Livingston for a celebration at the church we attended while living there, and a horse ran out into the highway in front of him. God protected him, for which we are ALL so grateful!
  4. I attended a storybook wedding this weekend! I've known the bride since she was 2. I was her babysitter, the person she napped on during church each Sunday, her summer tutor, her big sister, her friend, and this weekend, I got to be a witness to the beginning of a new chapter in her life! She was a beautiful bride!! Now, to be perfectly honest, I was dreading this event a little (very selfish of me, I know!). If you're single, you know how weddings can be a little awkward. . . especially when people you've known since you were 4 will be there. Going in, you know people are going to ask the most hated question of any single adult. On the LONG drive over, I prayed for God to give me the grace I needed to appropriately respond to the questions waiting for me. Mostly, I prayed for Him to guard my heart (which I way too often wear on my sleeve) and to help me not take offense at some of the seemingly innocent questions & comments. As always, He came through and let me enjoy the celebration while smiling graciously as people unknowingly put their feet in their mouths. I'm reminded of one of my "life verses" (verses that give me encouragement, patience, and strength during times when I just don't understand): Psalm 16: 5&6 . . . "Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance."

Sometimes, it's just important to focus on the good things in life! For me, that's what tonight needed to be. I hope you have a wonderful day!

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

-Ephesians 3:20-21

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm sure you survived with loads of grace, Jenn! You always do! Your post brightened my day. May God continue to use you in the fabulous profession He has placed us in and use us to touch the lives of our patients and families.