Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Some Cowtown Highlights

The last two days I've been playing in my new city! In case you haven't noticed by now from reading my blog (or if this is your 1st post to read), I LOVE exploring new areas and seeing what different cities have to offer. Well, here's what I've found so far in Cowtown . . . :-)

Yesterday morning, I went to the 'Cultural District' downtown. I'd been seeing billboards advertising and Impressionist exhibit at one of the art museums. Since that's my FAVORITE type of art, I really was wanting to see it before it left the area in a few days. It was a spectacular display!! One entire room of Monet!! :) The rest of the museum was good also. Since parking was free in that area, (and the weather was absolutely amazing!!) I walked around to see what else was in the area. I found a modern art museum and decided to have a look. Now, I'm not always a fan of modern art . . . some of it is just strange to me, and some of it is inappropriate (in my opinion). So, a bit hesitant to jump in to that one, I took one of their brochures and had some lunch while I looked at what was on display.

I'm SO glad that I went! Some photographers had put together some pretty amazing displays. In case you didn't know, I'm fascinated with hands (some might say a bit obsessed . . . but, whatever). :-) Well, one room had a grouping of pictures entitled Holes. It was 'holes' in everyday life (i.e. looking through a break in the leaves or through a window), and someone's hand was in the center of the 'hole'. It's hard to describe, but it was SO COOL!!!! There were other interesting groupings like falling objects and walls (where objects were shot while falling or views of both sides of a wall or floor, respectively). Fascinating pictures!! Some were so intriguing that I caught myself moving around in front of the picture to try & see behind the door (or whatever was blocking something in the picture). Gullible, I know, but the artistry was amazing! And, of course, I spent a while looking at the 5' X 6' painting of the ocean. Ahhh! :)

So, to finish off this 'cultured' day, I went to a going out of business sale down the street from my home to pillow shop. There's nothing worse than a pillow that's lost its fluff. Mine, aside from being old, have been sitting in storage for a couple of years. So, I got some new, FLUFFY, pillows. YAY!!!!

Today, I met one of my oldest (just to clarify - NOT oldest because of age . . . oldest because we've been friends since we were 5 yrs old) friends and her 2 sons at the local zoo. I SO enjoy going to the zoo! The oldest boy, 3 yrs old, was SO excited to see the elephants. All he could talk about at first was seeing the "big things with the tusks". How cute! The younger boy, 1 yr old, got most excited during lunch time. :) (my kind of kid!) I had so much fun watching the animals and watching the boys react to the animals!! Here are a few of the pictures from this afternoon:

The craziest thing happened while we were finishing up our picnic! First, a little background . . . All the news/weather people have been talking about how COLD it was going to be today. So, we all naturally wore warmer clothes today. As it usually works, it was pretty warm when we got to the zoo. :) So, as we walked around, we were actually sweating a little! Back to lunch . . . We were sitting in the shade, which made the weather very comfortable. Then, all of a sudden, a breeze blew by and literally DROPPED the temperature about 10 degrees!!!! You may think I'm exaggerating, but I'm NOT!! By the time we got to our cars, the temperature had dropped into the lower 60's! Now, I've lived in Texas my whole life (these last two years not withstanding), and I've never experienced anything like that before. It was amazing!

So that pretty much sums up my last two days of exploring Fort Worth. Now, I get to watch GAME 1 of the World Series!! YAY! :-) (what a nice way to end the day)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I know why flamingos are different shades of pink. It's because of their diet. There's a certain something that they eat that turns their feathers pink. (Info courtesy of our field trip guide at the Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park.)