Friday, January 16, 2009

"Shoot me a Waco!"

Long overdue, but I finally went on an exploration/road trip today. Hard to believe, but I haven't really gone exploring outside of Fort Worth proper since moving here. Several years ago, my sister went with a friend to the Dr Pepper bottling plant in Dublin, TX. For those of you who aren't Dr Pepper fans or experts, this is the oldest bottling plant in the world and it's the only one that still uses pure cane sugar instead of the corn syrup that the corporate bottling companies use. Ever since she told me about it, I've wanted to go, and today I did! :) Turns out, it's only a couple hours from my apartment - no big deal for me!


Dublin . . . The Irish Capital of Texas . . . is also home to this Dr Pepper heaven. I wasn't sure exactly where I was going (other than the city name), but it wasn't really a problem. Dr Pepper
was located on the corner of main street. YEA!!









Unfortunately, they weren't actually bottling the sweet nectar today, but I did get to take the tour. By the way, if you're thinking about taking the tour:

  • it's VERY inexpensive!
  • free parking
  • free Dr Pepper with your tour
  • they only bottle drinks on a couple of Wednesdays each month . . . call ahead!!

This is Kenny, our tour guide, explaining part of the bottling process. :) I didn't realize it, but Dr Pepper was created in a pharmacy in Waco. The inventor combined 23 flavors of soda to make this little piece of heaven. At the time, you could only get it in his drug store, and to order it, you said "Shoot me a Waco!" He had it on tap, so you could only get it in a glass, and had to finish it in his store . . . no 'to go cups'. (a little paranoid? . . . maybe!) :) So, long story short, the next generation started bottling it in Dublin, it went corporate, went to the corn syrup recipe, and is now available all over the country.


After touring the bottling factory, we went into the Dr Pepper Museum. No pictures are allowed in that part, but it does have some fun Dr Pepper memorabilia! Especially the last room of the tour . . . HUNDREDS of Dr Pepper clocks!!!! Needless to say, this was my favorite part of the tour. :~)




Then, it was time for the after tour fun . . . lunch! And yes, I did have some real food, but the real reason for eating there is their floats. . . Dr Pepper (with sugar cane) and Blue Bell ice cream . . . does it get any better?!?!?!? Talk about a SUGAR RUSH!!!! happiness :) After lunch, I walked around Dublin for a little while. Another little fun fact, the 2nd week of June each year, Dublin officially becomes 'Dr Pepper, TX'. They actually switch out the city limit signs. On the bottling company's birthday (or close to it . . . the 2nd Saturday of June), they throw a big party. Apparently thousands of people come to celebrate . . . and possibly for the free Dr Pepper! Good times. Gotta make sure I'm free (& in Texas) for that weekend!!!!



On my way back home, I decided to stop at a few of the interesting places I'd seen along the way. The first stop was at a family farm where they make their own cheeses. (And no, I don't have a clue on how to pronounce that name.) :) The woman in the shop was a fellow Aggie, so we visited for a little while. It still amazes me how just seeing someones ring can create an instant bond. . . but I digress. She showed me around where the cheese is actually made and explained the process. I had no idea that you could "make different cheeses". The man who actually makes the cheese at this dairy has created some different flavors of cheese. Now I'm the first to admit that my palate isn't good at distinguishing different ingredients in foods, but I tried a couple of his cheeses. I really liked the 'Texas Star' cheese. So much so that I brought some home and had it with dinner! :)


After we finished talking, I hopped back in my car . . . on to Stephenville. This is the home of Tarleton State University - my dad's alma mater.





Stephenville is a nice size city, with a beautiful town square. The courthouse is amazing! And, to top it off, 'Moolah' (a statue of a cow made from what appears to be fiberglass ) is right in front of said courthouse. My dad said that it's been there as long as he can remember. hmmm Sadly, I didn't get it in any of my pictures.


The final stop on my journey today was at a winery in Dale Bluff. I really enjoy visiting small, family owned shops!! The lady at the counter told me about their vineyard and the different special activities at the restaurant.


The coolest part is that they have picnic tables all around the vineyards. She said that people often bring a picnic there. They obviously serve food there if you don't want to pack your own, but picnics are always fun! :) She said that the vines would be in full bloom by April, so I'm thinking there will definitely need to be a return trip for that . . .

So, I'm finally back home after a very long and very fun day. I hope you enjoyed the 'mini-tour' of Midwest Texas. :~)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Okay, now I really have to go there! Do you think the boys would like it? Better question, would it intrigue them enough for them to behave through the tour?

jenn said...

Well, they'd probably enjoy it more if they were actually bottling the drinks. Otherwise, Joel might lose interest. :) They'd DEFINITELY like the drinks & ice cream!!

Audra Cain said...

Ohhhh! You were in my neck of the woods! I love Dublin. Next time you feel like a little road trip, come to Granbury for the afternoon...I would love to see you! audeyree@yahoo.com