Monday, January 05, 2009

Can you believe it's 2009?!?

I can't! In some ways, 2008 went so quickly it seems like just a blur. In other ways, I was ready to say 'Adios, 2008!!' . . . time to move on! :-) I hope you had a spectacular Christmas and were able to spend some quality time with the people you love. I had a wonderful and relaxing week off between Christmas and New Year's Day.

Since I worked the nights leading up to Christmas Day, I didn't get to enjoy Christmas Eve celebrations with my mom's half of the family. But, my sweet parents came to my apartment to stay Christmas Eve night so I wouldn't have to come home to an empty house Christmas morning. It was SO FUN to walk in and see my tree all lit up! (it's the little things in life that make it wonderful!) :-) So, after I cleaned up from work . . . no one wants to baste in hospital funk for too long! . . . we had a yummy breakfast, I packed for the upcoming week away from Cowtown, and we headed out to my Papa Joe's house for the big Christmas lunch. To be perfectly honest, most everyone was dreading this day in one way or another as it was our first Christmas without our First Lady of Christmas (Mema). It's just not the same without her, and missing her threatened to dampen our joy that day. But, God's grace came through, as always (2 Corinthians 12:9), and allowed everyone to have a good day visiting with each other and catching up on life happenings. Most excitingly . . . we'll have a new baby to cuddle next Christmas!!!! My cousin & his wife announced that they are expecting the arrival of the next member of their family some time in September! Just another way to remind us that life continues even in times of loss and sorrow. I'm SO excited for them!!

We left there to go to my parent's house around 3 or 4 that afternoon. I'd hit the 'awake for 24 hours' coma, so we left. :) I crashed pretty much as soon as we got home! The next morning, dad & I made a big breakfast for everyone. Then, it was Santa time!! Amy & Ronnie were able to be with us again that day, and she was feeling pretty well that morning - another little Christmas gift from God. After exchanging gifts, they headed to Houston to spend some time with his family, and my parents & I headed to Target. :) Yep, we were some of the insane that ventured to a store on the day after Christmas. Originally, we were just going to Lowe's to get some last minute supplies so we could start on the deck. Then, I decided that since we were out, we might as well go by Target! (shocking, I know!!) Other than the fact that I just like to shop there, I'd gotten money for Christmas so that I could buy a new camera . . . which just happened to be on sale at Target. (a third Christmas miracle?!?) :~) So, I picked up the camera that I'd been wanting, we went to Lowe's, and then the project began!


Dad with the post hole digger





Mom with some measuring/straight edge tool


The pictures are dark because I forgot to adjust the flash - fun times learning a new camera!! :) My dad dug the holes for the deck frame posts, and mom & I were the 'tool & wood getters' . . . which basically means that we handed dad the things he needed. I was photographing the action when he wasn't using the noisy tools. When he was, I was off plugging my ears! :)


Saturday was yucky outside, so we worked on some indoor projects my mom wanted finished. Well, we got it started and ran out of time. (Translation: made a bigger mess & left it!) Oh well, it was a good effort. :-) She wanted to pull out the family pictures from days gone by and get some of them hung on the walls. It was fun (& sometimes a bit scary) to see the old pictures. Mostly, we pulled each one out and laughed at the oh so cool hairstyles we each had! Good times!! That evening, we met some 'family' (family by choice as opposed to by blood) for dinner in Lufkin.


Sunday, after church, we went to my Granny's for a fish fry. YUM!! As I've said before, my Papa Art makes the BEST Crappie!! One of my cousins & her husband were unable to make it for the Christmas Eve celebration, too, so we all got together on that Sunday to visit. Monday was a day of shopping for mom and me. NOT that I needed (or planned) to buy anything, but I think I bought more than her that day!! Tuesday, she brought me back to Fort Worth so I could flip back to being a night owl.


New Year's Eve was a fun day. After running a few errands (like buying some black eyed peas for New Years!!), I met a good friend of mine & her two little boys at Build a Bear Workshop. I'm not sure who's idea it was to have small children faced with so many decisions just to get a stuffed animal, but it's entertaining for the adults! First, you have to pick the shell of the animal you want. Then, you pick a heart to go inside. Then, you decide if you want it firm or soft. Then, you decide whether or not to dress your new friend. This decision is often made more by the person holding the money than by the child, but still something for the little mind to consider. Finally, you have to pick out the animal's name to put on the birth certificate. WOW! That's a lot of decisions to make in a short time!! A good time was had by all! :~) After hanging out with them for a few hours, I met my sister at our favorite place - Studio Movie Grill. It's dinner & a movie in one spot! We went to see the new Will Smith movie . . . Seven Pounds. VERY GOOD!! I can't tell you more without giving it away. Suffice it to say, I was mostly lost during the movie up until the last 20 minutes. It hints at what's going on without giving it completely away. We gave it two thumbs . . . AND a BIG TOE up!! (the next to highest ranking on the Poe Sister Movie Scale!) The only drawback to the movie is that it seems to end abruptly. Other than that, it was really good!!

Are you a 'new year resolution person'? Growing up, I was, and then I quit sometime - not really sure when. Most likely it was because I didn't really keep most of them past January. But, I started again two years ago (2006). The difference, though, was that I only set 3 . . . one of which was to actually keep the other two. Is that cheating? :) Also, I REFUSED to put weight loss anywhere near that list!!!! Why set myself up for disappointment?!? Again this year, I sat down to set some goals to strive for in 2009. It's funny how actually writing these down makes them seem more 'real'.

The Sunday after Christmas, the pastor at my parent's church taught about 'making a difference' in 2009 - the inspiration for my 2009 goals. He shared the back story for the following poem that morning:


"It Matters To This One"

As I walked along the seashore

This young boy greeted me.

He was tossing a stranded starfish

Back into the deep blue sea.

I said, Tell me why you bother.

Why you waste your time this way?

There's a million stranded starfish.

Does it matter anyway?


And he said, "It matters to this one.

It deserves a chance to grow.

It matters to this one.

I can't save them all I know.

But it matters to this one,

I'll return it to the sea.

It matters to this one,

And it matters to me."

-Anonymous


So far, it's been a great 2009!! :-) Today, we even had icy weather today - not bad enough to mess up the roads but enough to make ice cycles on the trees & the buggy corral at Target. (one more opportunity to play with my camera!!)


I hope you're having a wonderful first week of 2009!

1 comment:

Janna said...

Yeah for all the ice just being pretty! That was nice of your parents to come to get you after work and make it easier for you to drive.
Huggles for your family getting to make new Christmas memories that are special.