Friday, September 24, 2010

Tragedy in East Texas

I heard of a terribly tragedy that happened earlier this week, and I wanted to ask you to be in prayer with us for all the people involved.  To protect the privacy of the people (& because of my poor memory), I will not use their real names or gender.

The "Smith" Family was in the process of adopting a child.  This child had lived with them for around a year and celebrated "his" second birthday on Monday.  Monday afternoon, while the 16 year old babysitter, "J", was watching this child, "he" was found at the bottom of the pool.  9-1-1 was called, "he" was taken to the hospital, but it was too late.  "His" funeral was yesterday.  "J" made some poor choices & got distracted while watching this small child.

Needless to say, two families have faced tragedy this week:  The "Smith" family in the loss of this child, and the "Jones" family's teenage child - "J" - who will never be the same.

I don't know about any of the legal stuff that I'm sure will be taking place, but my heart hurts for both families.  I've witnessed so many parents losing a child.  It's not something that can be put into words.  My heart breaks for them as they have started down this road of grieving their lost child.  Then, I think about the babysitter.  I can't imagine what is going through "J's" mind now.  One decision and life will forever be different.  My heart hurts for "J", too.

As always, God is in control of this situation, and He will be glorified.  I firmly believe that He has a plan . . . even in tragedy.

"'In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world.'" - John 16:33b

"'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. . . For when I am weak, then I am strong."  - 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."  - Lamentations 3:22

No comments: