Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Huntsville, AL

Well, I decided to go visit the Space & Rocket Center at NASA Huntsville today. It's about an hour & a half north of Birmingham. It was pretty fun. For those of you who don't know, I absolutely LOVE space and looking at the stars. I'm actually the science nerd that watches the NASA channel. :) This space shuttle is named Pathfinder. It has never flown into space, but it was used for practice a long time ago. I think they said it was built there in Huntsville. They also had several rockets to look at. I'm always amazed at the size of these ships and the fuel tanks! The next picture is from the Huntsville Botanical Garden. It's a grouping of 3 trees. (I think they're dogwoods, but I'm not sure.) The picture just does not do them justice. It was breathtaking! The gardens were very pretty, but I was a little disappointed at the lack of tulips. :) I guess it may still be a little early, but I was hoping! They have a hope garden there in honor of patients fighting a battle with cancer. Each spring and each fall they select 3 cancer patients to landscape a section of this garden. The patients get their picture and a brief bio on a plaque in their section. In the center, there's a bubbling little brook with benches around. It's probably one of the most peaceful places I've visited in a long time! On my way home, I had to stop at the grocery store, so I picked up a bouquet of tulips & gerber daisies. I'll get to see my tulips even if the gardens don't have them! :) It was a very fun day.

No comments: