Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Change is . . . GOOD!

Shocked to hear that phrase from me? Well, this past weekend wasn't what we had planned, but we had a blast!





My dad had a conference to attend in Chicago over the weekend, so my mom and I decided to tag along to play in downtown. Well, apparently American Airlines had other plans for us . . . and thousands of other people! :~) As you've probably guessed, our flights were cancelled, and my dad was barely able to get a flight into Chicago so he could attend the conference. My mom and I weren't able to get flights, so we decided to play in the Dallas area . . . more specifically Irving/Grapevine. All in all, it probably worked out for the best after the treadmill incident that occurred earlier in the week. (suffice it to say I should actually pay attention to what I'm doing while running instead of playing with my Ipod) I really didn't need to be traipsing around downtown Chicago for 3 days on a sore/swollen knee.










Friday morning - LONG before the sun was up - my dad left the hotel to catch his flight. Mom and I got up much later and decided to go shopping at Grapevine Mills Mall. I'd forgotten how GINORMOUS this mall is!! About six hours after arriving (and having only covered about half of the mall!), we had to leave so we could get to our next adventure on time . . . A RANGERS' GAME!! :-)






This is us sporting our new 'ratty' baseball caps . . . free gifts with purchase!!!! (can't get much better than that!) You can click here to see the professional picture of us that their photographer took. It wasn't the best game - we lost to the Toronto BlueJays!!!! (can't get much lower than that!). And it wasn't a close game where we just came up a little short. We lost 8-4. Oh well.




It was fun to watch, and we had a great view of the field from our seats by the left field foul pole. We had a great time in spite of the poor game. There was a group of highschoolers to our left that decided to get the wave started. It actually went around a few times before everyone lost interest.



Saturday, we went back to the mall to shop the other half. One of my friends and her youngest son met us there. It was fun to visit with her and play with Joel. Again, many hours later, we all left the mall for our homes. Mom and I got back to Tyler late that evening with all of our spoils . . . COMPLETELY exhausted! We unpacked, and I propped up my leg which was a bit sore after gimping around the mall for two days in a row. :)



Sunday morning, we got up and went to church with my Grandaddy and Granny Shirley. They celebrated their 1st wedding anniversary last Wednesday! CONGRATS!! They both looked SO HAPPY! I had planned to take my camera with me so I could get their picture at the front of the church while they were sang to. (At their church, if it's your birthday or anniversary week, you go to the front, and the entire congregation sings "Happy Birthday/Happy Anniversary" to you.) But, in the rush of getting ready, I forgot to put it in my purse. Sorry, no pictures . . .



After church, we all went to a favorite fish restaurant for lunch. Needless to say, when mom and I got home that afternoon, we just rested after all the activity of the past few days.



Yesterday, my dad arrived back at the Tyler airport. YEA! And now, it's back to life as usual . . . at least for them. I'm still off work for a few more weeks. :-)



It wasn't what we had planned for the weekend, but it was a great time! So, change can be good every once in a while! I hope you have a wonderful day!

No comments: