Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Road Trip Days 4 & 5






Well, I went to be early last night and forgot to update on 'day 4', so this will be a double duty post. :)


Yesterday morning, I got to go to the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, TN!! Much to my surprise and joy, they had a special section dedicated to Marty Robbins (probably best known for his song "El Paso"). I just love his voice, so I went straight for that exhibit when I arrived. It had some of his rather outlandish costumes - complete with rhinestones and matching, flamboyant boots. It was clearly a different time!! It also had several of his songs playing in the background so I could just sit and listen for a while. :-)


The museum has several famous people's guitars, fiddles, and banjos on display. It also has two cars. One of them (I don't remember who it belonged to) had guns for all the door handles, window knobs, and hood ornament, as well as a few sporadically placed all over the car. Very interesting . . .
Right next to it, they had Elvis' gold plated Cadillac and grand piano. WOW! The gold plated hubcaps are a bit much for me, but I'd take that piano in a heartbeat!!



The actual Hall of Fame with all the plaques is the last stop on the tour. Much to my disappointment, my batteries ran completely out just after entering here. Once again, great planning on my part (a bit reminiscent of when Papa Bush came to A&M to dedicate his library . . . but that's a story for another time). I did have just enough battery to get one shot of me with George Strait's induction plaque. YEA!!
After my fun there in the capital of country music, I headed west yet again to end up in Little Rock, AR, for the night. Sorry, no fun stories from there . . .
Today, I got up early to finish what was starting to feel like the never ending journey back to Texas. I got home this afternoon to see my parents' Aggie Flag waving proudly over the front porch. What a nice welcome home!! I'm about to go have dinner with my Papa Joe for his birthday, so I'll sign off for now.
On a side note - I just found out today that my next (and most likely last) travel assignment will be back in Virginia . . . I just can't seem to tear myself away from the Atlantic coast!! This time, though, I'll actually be working in VA so I won't have to fight the DC traffic everyday. YEA, ME!!!! More on this later.
Have a great day!

No comments: