Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Amazing Weather Day

In case you don't follow the Northern Virginia/DC weather (which, why would you since you don't live here?) :), today was completely uncharacteristic for this time of year! I'm not sure if it even reached the 80's!! Thankfully, I had the day off and decided to take full advantage of the beautiful weather . . . yeah, I went back to the District to sight see. :~)


When I was working up here last summer, the statue on top of the Capitol dome was being worked on, so it had scaffolding all around . . . not great for pictures. I noticed that the scaffolding was gone when I was there a couple of weeks ago, so I went to that end of the Mall to get a couple of pictures. Some of them actually came out okay.




From there, I started back towards the White House. It wasn't long before I stumbled upon the National Gallery of Art. I've never been in there (at least that I remember), so I went. Some of it wasn't exactly my taste (I'm more into the classics than modern art for the most part), but there were several rooms that I just sat down in to admire the talent. Amazingly enough, they allowed photography in a few of the areas. Here is a little peak into the gallery:











One of the cool things in the classic area was that an artist was there with his canvas, easel, and brushes recreating one of Monet's pieces. He's very talented, and I enjoyed watching him for a while. It reminded me of watching some painters on PBS (i.e. Bob Ross & Gary Jenkins) with my dad growing up. People amaze me with their natural artistic abilities!


After leaving the gallery, I was on Pennsylvania Ave., and I was hungry!! Thankfully, there are several places to eat along that road. (horray for Potbelly Sandwich Works!) After getting a full tummy, I continued on my way past the F.B.I. building. I love that they always have beautiful flags lining the outside of their building. Seeing all of them brings such a sense of patriotism.



Aren't they pretty in the sunlight?


Just past the White House on the west side is one of the smaller of the Smithsonian's called the Renwick Gallery. It has "unique jewelry". At least that's how they advertise it, and never was a truer statement made. It seemed (at least to me) to be jewelry for looking at and not for wearing. It looked most uncomfortable! Unfortunately, more for this next part than for the jewelry, I wasn't allowed to take pictures in this gallery. On the 2nd floor, there is what appears to be a grandfather clock covered with a white sheet - like they used to do when someone in the house/family passed away. For those of you who know about my clock obsession, this piece fascinated me! I actually read the sign that went with it! (I know, don't pass out on me, mom) :) As it turns out, it's not really a clock, but a piece of wood carved to look like a grandfather clock covered with a sheet. ALL of it was carved out of just one piece of wood!! Even standing inches away from it, I couldn't tell that the "sheet" was really wood - the curves and wrinkles were so real looking. Absolutely amazing! Apparently, this artist has an entire collection of art with clocks as the theme. Something I'll need to look into.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Janna said...

that is a nice little video. I was going to send it to my friend that loves going to museums! doofy me forgot that she lives in DC area though so it wouldn't matter to her. I love that you have so many beautiful days!

Anonymous said...

You actually have been to both the art gallery and Union Station. We saw both of them when we took you and Amy to Washington D. C. on vacation. You might have remebered the art more if you had not been so determined to remember the number of steps leading into each museum. Also, Union Station has not been remodeled when we were there. It is much more beautiful now. Marm