Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I'm Coming Home!

Well, I'm getting to go home tomorrow morning. I haven't been back since I left in July - which is a long time for me. :) It will be nice to see everyone again. As usual, the day (at work) before a vacation starts is always CRAZY! Well, today was no different. I had three different assignments before 10:30 this morning. And that was just the beginning. In case you didn't know, I'm a NICU nurse - which means I get to "play" with babies for 36-48 hours each week in the ICU. The last two days were busy with "healthy" (or at least healthy for being in an ICU) babies. :) The patient I ended up with most of today was very sick - so sick, in fact, that she was on a heart/lung bypass machine. Needless to say, this assignment brought great fear! Let's just say I reached my target heart rate SEVERAL times today! :) As my friend at work, Renee, said "You always go out with a bang before a vacation", and boy was she right. All my terror aside (& honestly, at some points, I'm not sure terror was a strong enough word!), I realized what a miracle this is. More importantly, what a miracle life is itself. (Hence the title of my blog.) :) As I studied & tried to learn about the machine, I was amazed at how big it had to be to do the work of the baby's heart (about the size of her balled up fist) and both of her lungs. As I thought about all of this, I was again in awe at the Great God that is my Creator & Savior. He is so amazing in His creations that even the best science/technology comes up with can't even hold a candle to what He created thousands of years ago! Just something to think about. : )

No comments: