Sunday, October 22, 2006

Joy Riding


What a beautiful day we had today. Instead of watching (or napping through) an afternoon of football, which often happens on a Sunday afternoon, today I decided to take a little drive. About a month ago, I was reading a David Baldacci book - a great author, by the way - and it mentioned a drive down Route 29 in Virginia. The lady talking about it said that it was a beautiful drive in the fall with all the changing leaves. Well, today I thought I'd give it a look. :) So, I headed out - with my cell phone and map of Virginia for when I got lost! This path takes you through lots of small towns & TONS of single lane roads lined with gorgeous fall trees. It also runs through the Bull Run Battlefield, which brings me to the picture above. When I saw the sign, I thought "why not?" and got out for a walk. There's not a whole lot to see there (at least in the part I visited). I walked around & took some pictures of the pretty scenery. When I got to a muddy patch, I turned around & started driving again. :) (I didn't want to ruin my cute brown shoes!) I continued on until I hit Charlottesville - home of UVA. I wanted to get out & walk around the campus, but I was running out of time. Church starts at 7:30, and I knew I was at least 2 1/2 hours away from there, so I just turned around. Wanting to see different views on my way back, I pulled off at Culpepper. Desperately in need of some coffee since I overslept and didn't have time for any this morning, I used my trusty map and searched for a Starbucks while winding my way through the countryside back to McLean. I did make it back for church, just about 10 minutes late due to a couple of traffic jams on 66. What a wonderful day, and my thought throughout the 6 1/2 hour car joy ride was "What an imagination our Creator has!"

No comments: