Thursday, May 03, 2007

Raleigh/Durham, NC

Yesterday morning, I left the beach and headed north - getting ever closer to the final destination!! I drove up the coast a couple hours so I could see some lighthouses. (at least that was the plan) I did find one of them, the Oak Island Lighthouse.




Yes, that's a street lamp in front of the lighthouse. :) It's really very bizarre! This lighthouse is in the middle of a neighborhood! After success in finding this one, I set out to find the Bald Head Lighthouse, which is supposed to be just down the road about 30 minutes. Well, after about an hour of searching, I gave up and headed towards Raleigh.

Today, I set out exploring the Raleigh/Durham area. I first went to Durham, where Duke University is. There's a beautiful garden you can walk through there. The roses were in full bloom and smelling amazing!


When I finished with the garden, I walked around the campus for a while. Seeing all the hustle & bustle of this time right before finals made me SO GLAD that I'm through with that part of my life!! While in Durham, I also found the Bulls' old stadium, where the movie Bull Durham was filmed. The team doesn't play there anymore, but it was neat to see the "old-timey" stadium. Then, I headed back to Raleigh where I drove around downtown. I circled the capitol and snapped a few pictures.

Just west of the capital is the Oakwood Historic District. I drove through that area and looked at all the pretty houses that have been refurbished. I don't know that I'd ever want the stress & expense that comes with that kind of "fixer-upper", but they sure are beautiful once completed! I didn't get any pictures of them because I didn't think the families living there would appreciate someone taking pictures without permission. :)

That's the extent of my adventures here today. I had to get back to the hotel to do a little bit of work stuff. The good news is that my apartment will be ready tomorrow afternoon, so I'll be headed to DC tomorrow morning!! I've enjoyed my little adventures, but I'm ready to unpack and get settled in my apartment.

Have a wonderful Friday!

1 comment:

Janna said...

oh why didn't I tag along for this Road Trip. You could have taken pictures of the homes. These homes used to have tours go by at Christmas with many pictures taken. Hope driving down "Thrillsborough" Street wasn't too difficult.