Friday, May 04, 2007

Things I've learned . . .

I finished my little road trip adventure this afternoon when I arrived in Arlington, VA. It's been a fun and educational adventure over the past week. I was talking with my mom this morning, and it's hard to believe it's been less than a week since I left Alabama! I've gotten to see & do so much, it seems like about a month! As I drove along, singing at the top of my lungs, I was thinking about some of the strange things I've seen & learned on this trip, so I thought I'd share them with you.
  1. The term "speed limit" means COMPLETELY different things in different states. For Alabama & Georgia, it seems to be a goal that's never really reached. If you want to enter a highway where the speed limit is 65 or 70 going 40, it's perfectly fine. We'll just get out of your way or slam on the brakes so that we don't crash. South Carolina seemed to drive faster - driving at least the speed limit was the norm. Once I reached North Carolina, it seemed that the "speed limit" was really the "minimum speed required for survival". As I drove through a large part of Virginia today, I realized that driving ONLY 10 MPH over the posted speed only inconvenienced/angered about 2/3 of the people on the highway - as opposed to angering the entire population driving by actually going the posted speed.

  2. If you ever want a large variety of miniature golf places in a small area, just go to the northern part of South Carolina on HWY 17. I must have passed 15 mini-golf places in as many miles!

  3. The PERFECT time to visit Myrtle Beach, SC, is the last week of April or the first week of May. Beautiful weather, and no crowds. :)

  4. There's a "Ni River" in Virginia! If you've never seen Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail, this probably doesn't mean much to you. But when I passed it today, I just chuckled to myself thinking of "the knights who say 'NI'!!"

  5. The city of Durham, NC, seems to have two, completely unconnected Main Streets. And yes, I drove on both of them a few times looking for Duke University.

  6. At least two families in North Carolina have a lighthouse as a next door neighbor!
  7. The majority of the people working the desk at the hotels have no idea how far Texas is from the east coast. When I checked in to the hotels in North & South Carolina (both of which I checked in between 2 & 5PM), I was asked if I had driven in that morning from Texas! Um . . . That would mean that I left at least at midnight of the night before. Did I really look that tired?!? :)
  8. Lastly, but most importantly, I'm SO grateful to have a job that doesn't require me to live in hotels the majority of the time!! It's next to impossible to have a "jammy day" (which y'all know I'm a huge fan of) in a hotel.

Not important or life changing lessons I learned, but fun thoughts that fill my head. Speaking of apartments, here's a picture of my new place.

Thank you for going on this journey with me and reading through all of my rambling thoughts! I hope you at least enjoyed the pictures!! :) By the way, they're playing "Taps" across the street at the Army base - something I haven't heard since January.

FINAL LICENSE PLATE TALLY: Well, today I only saw one lonely Illinois tag, which brings the grand total to 13. I was amazed at the number of New Jersey plates I saw during my travels! Maybe next time I'll count those instead because I'm sure the number was at least 3 times the number of Illinois plates!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

1 comment:

Janna said...

I loved some of your observations. People in Raleigh make fun of Durham because of Main Street. I would so have loved seeing you signing at the top of your lungs enjoying your trip. Are you sure you can't have jammy day at a motel? Just would depend on the jammies, I guess.