Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Virginia's "Niagara Falls"

I went exploring today. Every Sunday, as I'm driving to church, I pass a sign for Great Falls. I never took the time to head out there last year while I was here, so I decided to go have a looksie today. Granted, it's no Niagara Falls, but it's pretty!



When I got there, I found the trail & headed out. Of course, I went the wrong direction. :) As I walked along, I kept seeing signs warning about the "strong undercurrent", but all I could see was calm water. I found this quite amusing. I walked & walked and ended up at the dam, which I thought was "the falls". Not too impressive, but since I'd walked so far, I decided to take a couple pictures anyway.


After I turned around to head back to the visitor's center, I realized what I'd done and went to see the real falls! It was so nice to get in the middle of nature, even though surrounded by city, and spend some alone time with God without the distractions that pop up at home. As I walked along the trails beside the Potomac, I was reminded of a poem all of my English teachers had on their walls:


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

Now, believe me, I'm NO literary (as most of you already know), but it made me think about life. (I promise to not get too philosophical on ya!) I've been on my personal "less traveled" road for almost a year now. (travel nursing) Many of you have asked me what made me decide to make this huge change in my life - knowing I'm not a huge proponent of change! :) Well, here are some of the reasons - some mature and some not so much!


  1. Get to see different areas of the country

  2. Learn how things are done in different NICUs - aka become a better nurse

  3. Self challenge in depending on God and flexibility!!

  4. People all but dared me to do this, and I couldn't let them win :)

Since I left Texas, which was a HUGE step out on faith for me, I've learned a lot about depending on God. He has continually taken care of me! So, as I come up on my one year anniversary of this new career, I'm asking that you pray with me about the next step. I'm praying for God to clearly lead me where He wants me to be, whether that be settling down somewhere or continuing with my current travel position. Thank you for your prayers over the past year, and I'll keep you updated on any new developments.

No comments: