Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Savannah

Well, I arrived in Savannah, GA, Sunday evening. It's a pretty drive across the state, and I was very happy to see the magnolia trees starting to bloom! Savannah is a quaint little city with several WONDERFUL restaurants. Sunday night, I had dinner at a little Irish Pub named Molly McPherson's (at least I think that's how you spell it). It was delicious, and the music was great. (Mom, it had mostly bagpipes, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for you.) :) Then, I got to walk around downtown a little before it got too dark. There are 22 city blocks solely dedicated to being parks in that city. It's so nice to be going along and see yet another area of trees, beautiful flowers, water fountains or statues, and park benches. What a fun place to live!

Monday morning, I got up and boarded my trolley tour of Savannah - with the senior citizen groups. :) I enjoyed getting to know the others on my trolleys. It was like having a bus load of grandparent substitutes all morning! (the only thing better was if it had been my actual grandparents) On the tour, we got to see where different films were made - like the bench where Forest Gump told his life story (The actual bench is gone, but the place where it sat is marked with a sign.) and the Six Pence Pub where Julia Roberts caught her cheating husband in Something To Talk About. They mentioned some others that were shot in Savannah (like Matt's The Legend of Baggar Vance), but we didn't see where they were filmed.


MOST importantly - at least in my Mema's opinion - I got to see The Lady & Sons. Actually, I stayed about a block & a half from the restaurant and didn't even realize it. :) I admit, I didn't plan too well because when I arrived at the restaurant when it opened at 11AM, the next seating time available for lunch was 2:15PM!!!! So, I took some pictures, looked in the gift shop, and went on my way - knowing that I wouldn't be able to wait another 2 1/2 hours before I ate. (sorry, Mema) The man who wrote the song Moon River was from Savannah - I didn't know that. They have a little restaurant/pub there named Moon River, so I ate lunch there since I love that song! It was fun.

After lunch, I hopped back on a trolley and headed to my car for my next adventure. Savannah is very pretty! My only recommendation is that if you want to actually eat lunch at Paula Deen's restaurant, be at the "host stand" there on Congress St. by at least 9AM!!!! :) (or eat a REALLY late breakfast!)


License Plate Tally: Not too exciting - only 2 new Illinois tags making the grand total 11 so far. On to South Carolina!!

No comments: