Friday, August 24, 2007

Jammy Day vs. Explorations

This was my "dilemma" this morning. :) (I know, rough life, huh?!?) I had today off after a week of hospital orientation and before I start my unit crash course orientation tomorrow through Monday. As usual, this has been a bit of a stressful week with moving, learning a new area, sitting through HOURS and HOURS of boring orientation classes, and that AWFUL test on Tuesday morning. So, I thought it would probably be wise to have a Jammy Day (my version of a lazy day; AKA "Me Day") today in preparation for learning a new unit over the next few days. But, because of a high endorsement from one of my friends, I also wanted to go see the Simpson's movie. What to do . . . what to do. :)

Well, I did a little of both! :) I found a showing of the movie in a town about 40 minutes from here this afternoon, so I set out on a mini adventure. I don't quite understand why, but there's a HWY 264 and an Alternate HWY 264. They both go in the same direction, but the alternate goes through some small towns and farms, so you only get to drive 55MPH. The other one, you get to drive 70MPH. Well, just for kicks, I took the Alternate (not realizing the speed difference). I discovered that this area of NC isn't all that different from East Texas . . . except that you need to trade a few hundred pine trees for a few hundred tobacco plants. At least I think that's what they were. I'm not sure I've ever seen a real tobacco plant other than on Gone With the Wind. Along this road, I saw TONS of old, rusty barns & silos. I'll have to remember to travel this area again with my camera. These would make great pictures for my dad to paint once his shop is built!! :)

I did finally arrive at the movie theater, got some Junior Mints in honor of my sister (or should I say "hunior meentz"?), and got ready to laugh. Well, I'm not a particular fan of commercials at the movie theater, but the Coke vs. Coke Zero commercials crack me up EVERY time I see them. Well worth the drive by itself!! :) After the obligatory 30 minutes of commercials and previews, the screen went blank and that was it. After a few minutes, I realized the movie wasn't coming on (I know, slow learner!), so I went out to let someone know. About 10 minutes after that, the lights came back on in the theater and the "in between movies" stuff started playing again. I ended up just getting my money back and coming on home. I guess I wasn't supposed to see the movie today after all! All in all, I drove almost an hour and a half to see some TV commercials and movie previews . . . and to get some Junior Mints! :)

So, when I got home, I put my jammy pants back on and decided to rest the rest of the day. What a fun day! :)

No comments: