Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Go NAVY!

Last summer, I had the privilege of being in a Bible study with some "locals". And, I use the term loosely, because if you've spent any time here in the Virginia, Maryland, DC area, you know that FEW people are actually born and live their lives here. Most people come for a while and then leave - VERY TRANSIENT AREA!! Anyways, the leader of the group last year told us about the Navy Band concerts that take place most Tuesdays at the Navy Memorial downtown. The group went last year, but I had to work that night. I've wanted to go hear them since she told us about it, and last night after work, Amy and I went!

To say that it was amazing is an understatement!!!! Such talent! I wish I'd had a video camera so I could post a small portion of what we heard. Of course, we got there late since I didn't get home from work until 8 last night, but what we heard was incredible. They were doing TV show theme songs. . . Mr. Ed, Lavern & Shirley, Happy Days, etc. Then, they moved into some classic rock. At one point, while playing Dancin' in the Streets, almost everyone in the crowd was up and dancing. They ended the evening with military and patriotic songs. It was wonderful! I've always been patriotic, and it was so fun to be surrounded by people who feel the same way I do. We were all moved to tears during some of the songs . . . especially Taps. I LOVED watching the military personnel (current and retired) stand and sing their branch's song with such pride! It's a great experience, and I highly recommend that you go to this event if you're in the District on a summer Tuesday night!

Here are a few pictures from the concert:









1 comment:

Janna said...

I would have loved this as well. Outside things are always delightful but the added part of the military theme. They did one at COM a few years ago and all the retired ones sang so loudly! There were even tears up on that stage. I'm glad you got to experience that.