Sunday, August 17, 2008

10 Things . . . Sunday

Several of the blogs I read do a 'Ten Things Tuesday' post about 10 things they are grateful for. It's a wonderful way to cultivate the attitude of gratitude. I was sent a great Martha Washington quote yesterday:


I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be;
for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness
or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.

It's very similar to Paul's statement in Philippians 4:12-13:

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I
have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether
well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.. I can do
everything through him who gives me strength.


It's truly about perspective, which brings me to my theme verses (at least over the past couple of years):

Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot
secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I
have a delightful inheritance. . . I have set the Lord always before
me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
-Psalm 16: 5,6,8


So, needing a bit of an attitude adjustment last night, I literally fell asleep 'counting my blessings' (or making my 10 things list). I know it's not Tuesday, but here it is (in no particular order) anyway. :-)

  1. My God who loves me in spite of my unfaithfulness & grumbling
  2. God fearing parents
  3. Periods of time when my sister breaks through her sickness and it's like 'old times'
  4. COFFEE!!
  5. A job that I love and actually makes me look forward to going to work . . . most days :)
  6. Incredible friends
  7. Precious 'niece' (soon to be nieces!!) and 'nephews' who can make my day with just a smile
  8. My 'Sam' is talking and singing now . . . and almost 4 Years Old!! What a miracle!!!
  9. Did I mention COFFEE?!? :)
  10. The NICU nurses of Medical City for daring me to try travel nursing
It's always amazed me how my attitude changes when I stop looking at what I don't have (& really want!) and focus on EVERYTHING that God has given to me! I have NO reason to whine!!

No comments: