Friday, August 15, 2008

National Aquarium

Believe it or not, today was the FIRST time I've been to the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I love aquariums, but I don't love the drive to Baltimore (TRAFFIC)!! After sleeping LOTS of hours yesterday and last night, I woke up refreshed and ready for a challenge/adventure. So, I got out and braved the Beltway so I could see all the fun fish. As far as aquariums go, it's good . . . no where near the caliber of the Georgia Aquarium, but it was very enjoyable.




One of the first tanks you come to upon entering is full of stingrays - from small to ginormous!, a few sharks, and a big sea turtle (one of my favorites!). Some of the stingrays' wingspan were 5-6 feet wide! (At least that's my guess at their size. I didn't actually ask one of the workers.)




Moving on, they had displays for the different types of water in this part of the country (ie rivers/streams, lakes, oceans, etc.) Of course, I went straight to the ocean display. :-)













Beyond this "small" tank, I went to walk a path around the "big" tank. It had some other pretty fish and some more stingrays. I tried to upload a little video clip of the fish in the big tank, but I seem to be having some technical difficulties. Maybe another time. :)


After grabbing a quick lunch, I went to the dolphin show. It was great! One of the dolphins just gave birth to a calf about 3 weeks ago. It was precious to see them swimming together. :-) Obviously, neither of them were in the show, but the two performing dolphins did a wonderful job . . . jumping, flipping, playing catch, etc. It was worth the price of getting in to the aquarium just for the dolphin show (in my opinion).






Jumping through a hoop




Jumping up to touch the red ball




Jumping over one of the trainers

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hope it wasn't too crowded. I loved the dolphin show, too! I haven't been to the Georgia Aquarium, but we liked the Tennessee Aquarium better than the National. If you get a chance to go to Chattanooga I recommend it. Hope that you are having a great day!