Friday, August 22, 2008

Ocean Rejuvenation


Sometimes, we all need to go someplace that is rejuvenating - mind, body, and soul. For me, this place is the BEACH!! Today was one of those days. With a lot on my mind, I jumped in my car for the 4+ hour drive to Assateague Island in VA. It's actually a pleasant drive (for the most part). The road passes through a few of the more 'shady areas' of Maryland, but most of the road is through farmland. I love seeing all the crops in their straight rows and the pretty homes & barns.












This isn't the most popular beach in the area, but I searched it out specifically since it also is home to the one lighthouse in Virginia that I hadn't seen yet. As you can tell, it's currently under renovation. Hopefully I'll be able to go see it again someday once it's been completely restored.


That's right, I drove many hours today to go look at an old lighthouse in serious need of a new paint job and sit on the beach for about an hour & a half. :-) But . . . at least in my warped mind . . . it was COMPLETELY WORTH IT!!!!


Not only does this island have a lighthouse and a beautiful beach, but it also has dolphins playing in the waves. I enjoy seeing dolphins close up like in an aquarium, but there's something special about seeing them enjoying their natural habitat. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at timing pictures of the dolphins, so I don't have a picture to share.



The final great thing about this island is the Chincoteague Wild Horses. They were more in the marsh area than on the actual beach, so I couldn't get very close. If you look closely, you can see the herd of horses in the middle of the picture. All along the path, there were signs warning us not to "touch or chase after" the wild horses because they are not "tamed". Well, DUH!! Isn't that the meaning of the term "wild"?!? Obviously someone has chased after the wild animal, gotten hurt, and then tried to sue the park. In my opinion, those warnings are as much of a waste as the one on the hair dryer tag warning you to not blow dry your hair while still showering. Are these warnings seriously needed? Now, I'm not a believer in evolution, but this could be considered 'survival of the fittest'! :-)


I digress . . .




After seeing my lighthouse, looking (from a distance) at the wild horses, and sitting on the beach a while, I decided to head back home. Once I got closer to the mainland, I saw an advertisement for homemade ice cream. Well, I had to stop and try it!! :) It was delicious!!!! They make their waffle cones fresh as people come in. Mine was so fresh it was still a little warm when she handed it to me with the ice cream. Moral of the story . . . if you like ice cream and you're on Chincoteague Island in Virginia, you should definitely try this ice cream parlor!!
It was a great day! I hope you have a wonderful weekend. :-)

1 comment:

Janna said...

1)When I first read the word "shady" I thought you were talking about nice tree covered roads! HA!
2)So have you read the books about the wild horses? I know people who want to go there just because of the books, so no you aren't crazy.
3)That place has been featured on the Food Network on a show about ice cream parlors in the country. The waffle cones were the maing reason for being on it. Hope the ice cream was good too!