Saturday, August 16, 2008

More Exploring :-)

I visited some new places today . . . some on purpose and some not so much. Yep, that means I got a little lost in my journeys, but I did eventually get where I wanted without venturing too far into Southeast. (yea, me!!) I went to the National Arboretum this morning. It had more greenery and fewer actual flowers than I was expecting, but it was still a pleasant 'nature hike'. (Honestly, how wrong can you go when it's sun-shiny with a high in the low 80's?!?) I did manage to find some blooms here & there, so I got some pictures. (I know, Janna, more pictures of flowers) :)



In one area, they have the columns from the original Capitol back before the 1st expansion. They're lined up like a Roman sculpture. There's also a little reflection pool near them. Lots of people were getting their pictures made with the columns. Close to the visitor's center, you can visit the 'Bonsai area' . . . which basically consists of several outdoor rooms with all kinds of trees that have been trained to grow into bonsai shapes. Some of these (like the one in the center of the back row in this picture) have been trained since the 1800's according to the sign. That's a TINY tree for being over 100 years old!






After winding my way through DC traffic and getting back on a familiar highway, I went to Arlington to visit the Iwo Jima/USMC War Memorial. I visited it back during my 1st contract, but I've lost those pictures somehow. And, as any scrapbooker will tell you, I HAVE TO HAVE pictures of EVERY PLACE I visit. Otherwise, what will I fill my pages with?!? All this to say, I got some more pictures of it today that I will hopefully not lose. :-)





Not far from this memorial is a HUGE clock tower that the Netherlands gave to the US a long time ago. When I first moved into my apartment in Arlington that 1st contract, I remember hearing this clock tower chime away the hours . . . along with the all the buglers from Ft. Myer. Good times!


Maybe not the prettiest thing in DC to look at, but it's chimes are pretty to listen to.



I'm guessing the person who rings the bells?


Something to aspire to!! :)




The more 'traditional' DC sites with the clock tower flowers in the forefront.

1 comment:

Janna said...

Teary blogs need warnings when I'm not expecting it. I'm totally impressed that you were able to go to the USMC memorial at the same time as the Arboretum. Those columns are cool!