Thursday, July 05, 2007

Once in a Lifetime Oppportunities

In keeping with my nurse travel theme of "why not?", I decided to join the throngs of people watching the Capitol Fireworks show last night instead of just going to bed early. :) I am SO glad that I went! It was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. As I drove home from work last night - mostly sitting in traffic :) - I looked out on the Potomac and was amazed at all the boats/yachts out waiting for the fireworks show. I've heard that sitting in a boat on the Potomac is one of the best viewing places for the show. Apparently, these people heard the same story! I had my camera with me, so I snapped a picture of all the boats. This view is from the ramp going from 395 south onto the GW Parkway where I got to sit for a little while. :)


Seeing all the cars parked along the side of the road - and some ON the road - as I drove home, I decided that I most likely wouldn't be able to find a place to drive to & park to see the fireworks. All the legal (& some not so legal) parking spaces were already taken, so I just went on home to get some food. I did notice some people walking towards DC, though. After I "refueled" and changed out of my hospital funk clothes, I decided to join the trek towards the district. Ever safety conscious, I took my ID, insurance card and cell phone (just for you, mom!). :) It was completely safe! I honestly believe that ALL the police officers from the area were required to work last night - sad for them, but good for me! It was only about a 20 minute walk to get to the Arlington Cemetery from my apartment, which is where I was going to watch the show. My pastor in college (Bobby), a true & longtime lover of Washington, DC, said his favorite place to watch the show was from Arlington Cemetery, which is just directly across the river from the monuments. Since I hadn't taken a purse or bag, I just walked right through the security check point, which saved MUCH time. I ended up getting an amazing view of the show from the side of a hill. Some people nearby had a radio or TV that was playing patriotic music loudly enough for all of us to enjoy - a nice touch since we couldn't exactly hear the music from the Mall. :) I took lots of pictures, and I attached a few of the better ones. I hope you enjoy them!

By the way, what you're looking at just below the fireworks is the Lincoln Monument, the Washington Monument, and the Capitol (left to right).

And, last but not least, my favorite picture! It highlights the Lincoln Monument. :)

It was truly the best of both worlds: all the pretty lights & sites with NONE of the loud booms!! I highly recommend doing this if you ever have the opportunity!!

No comments: