Monday, July 02, 2007

Random Thoughts From Travelling

I went home this past weekend for my cousin, Lacey's, wedding. It seems that I almost never get on a flight that leaves at the scheduled time. Is it just me, or does it happen to everyone who flies these days. Well, Friday was no exception to that rule. :) Sitting in Terminal C at Reagan National Airport, I met some friendly people from San Antonio. As our flight departure time kept getting pushed back in 15 minute increments, we all got a good chuckle - mainly because there was no airplane at our gate. Yet they continued to say we would be boarding shortly. Boarding what?!? :) Now, I don't really pay attention to politics much (which makes me a minority in this part of the country!). So, when I saw someone sitting near me in the terminal that looked like a famous person, I sat there racking my brain trying to figure out who it was. I finally just asked the guy sitting next to me while he was snapping pictures of the poor man reading his paper with a camera phone. It turns out it was Sen. John McCain! :) Needless to say, I felt like an idiot!! Oh, well. One man from the San Antonio group decided that he was going to be my entertainment while we waited for a plane to arrive. He proceeded to give he his life story - as well as that of his 3 children & his wife. (hooray for me!!) At one point, he had gotten up to go check with the gate, so I took this opportunity to sneak away & get a LARGE cup of coffee. When I returned, I sat in another area, but he found me and picked up where he had left off. It always amazes me how much people share with complete strangers! I guess I'm just a more private person than most.

Well, we did eventually get a plane and take off. It was such a pleasant flight! The skies were beautiful & mostly clear throughout the majority of the flight so we could see the landscape below. It made me think back to junior high earth science classes. Good memories! :) On the shuttle bus to get my rental car, a mom was trying to explain the basic laws of physics to her son - who looked about 8 years old! I sat there wondering why she thought this was so important for him to understand right then. It just struck me as a little odd.

Later that afternoon, I was able to visit with a friend and her foster son - a little boy who is very dear to my heart! It was so nice to see them. Once he woke up completely from his little nap, he showed me how he'd learned the motions to "Wheels On The Bus" - doing the wheel, wiper, and door motions for me as his foster mom & I sang the song for him. I won't go into detail about him and all of his struggles; suffice it to say that this was a MIRACLE! :) It was the first time that song had ever brought tears to my eyes. God knew exactly what I needed that day, and as usual, He provided in abundance!!

Friday night and Saturday, I had some quality time with family - immediate and extended. The wedding ceremony was one of the most precious I've seen. It was evident to everyone that God was present! What a beautiful worship service while two people joined their lives! I was so happy to have been able to attend.

Sunday, our Congressman, Rep. Louie Gohmert, preached the sermon at my parents' church. His sermon was about our country's heritage of faith. I've never really been too excited about history, but I thoroughly enjoyed hearing how our founding fathers were men of such great faith. My goal, after the service, was to meet him and thank him. Last year, when I was working up here in the DC area during the Christmas holidays, I sent him/his office a request to tour the White House & the Capitol while the Christmas decorations were up. Little did I know that this was a difficult chore. :) Nevertheless, his office came through and got me a tour to both!! As you probably know, I'm a HUGE Christmas fan. (probably an understatement!) This has always been a dream of mine, and Rep. Gohmert managed to make it happen. So, my mom and I found him, and I had the opportunity to introduce myself, shake his hand, & thank him. Needless to say, I was very excited!

After a very busy and fun time, I came back to Arlington this evening. The man sitting next to me on the plane was visiting DC for the 1st time with his wife and daughter (another Aggie). :) It was very fun to see the excitement on their faces at seeing the monuments for the first time. As unbelievable as it is, I've gotten to where I just drive by it all as I go to & from work not appreciating what a special opportunity it is to get to see it all. It reminded me of seeing everyday things through a child's eye seeing them for the first time. The awe & wonder is contagious! It's always good to be reminded of the little things in life I take for granted. All in all, I had a great weekend! I hope yours was just as wonderful! :)

No comments: