Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Good Memories

Eva Lorae Poe

a.k.a. My Mema


Mema & Me in New Bern, NC. (Fall, 2007)



In case you never had the opportunity to know my Mema, I wanted to share a little about her with you. Some of the things I loved about my Mema:




  1. Beautiful hands: For those of you who don't know, I LOVE hands! Always have, always will. In fact, it's one of the first things I notice about someone - second only to their eyes. My Mema always had large, strong, beautiful hands. She always took the time to have her nails shaped and polished. Even when she could barely see out of her one good eye, her nails were always done.




  2. My Christmas Guru: My absolute favorite time of year was also her favorite time of year. Each year, in July, I received a Christmas card from her stating that it's "time to start decorating!!" :-) I love to celebrate Christmas throughout the year and proudly listen to Christmas carols whenever I desire - whatever month it might be.
  3. My "mini Christmas Tree" while I was working in Virginia during Christmas. (Winter, 2006)



  4. Great Cook: I remember watching her cook at family gatherings each year in amazement. She didn't use recipes and almost never used a measuring device. Everything was by look, smell, feel, and/or taste (yeah, even if raw . . .). I've never been a good cook, and can only bake things when I have a detailed recipe to follow! I will miss her famous cream peas!




  5. Loved to Laugh: Anyone who met her knew that she was joyful and loved to laugh. In fact, it was one of the points the preacher mentioned at her funeral. She had a great laugh and was always willing to share it with everyone!!

  6. Mema at her 75th birthday party. (summer, 2007)

  7. Strong Faith and Conviction: She had such a strong faith in God, and it became even more evident in her last 6 weeks here on the Earth. When faced with such pain and certain death, she had a peace knowing that she was headed to Heaven. Her faith was not shaken.


  8. Caregiver: She worked as a nurse in a hospital and a doctor's office. After retiring, she cared for her mom in the nursing home - paying attention to details like having the TV Guide for her or her favorite magazine, making sure she had nice gowns/robes, and making sure her hair was done.

  9. Mema's nursing hat and stethoscope on the left of the table.


  10. Dessert for Breakfast!: Growing up, my Papa Joe and Mema invited all the grandkids to their house for one week during the summer. It was such a fun time with the cousins & something that the younger cousins looked forward to when they reached the age to join in. Exciting times? - Definitely . . . Crazy? - possibly. :-) We ALL had a blast with the Spoons Tournaments, badmitten games in the pasture, croquet in the yard, feeding the fish in the tank in the back of the pasture, and most of all . . . the M&M's!!!! During this one week each year, we'd get dessert for breakfast! (what more could an M&M loving child hope for?!?) After breakfast each morning, we'd get a few M&M's in the dixie cups before starting the games for that day. Good times!!


  11. Creative & Talented: My Mema was a great seamstress! For many years, all the granddaughters would receive a homemade Mema Jumper or Mema Dress for Christmas. This was a Sunday dress she made for each of us. It was always amazing how she could make them to fit us without us being there to measure. I still have ALL of my Mema Jumpers, and I will always treasure them!

Papa Joe & Mema on Ocracoke Beach, NC. (Fall, 2007)


It's hard to believe how quickly life can change. I'm sad that she's no longer just a phone call away, but I'm so glad she's not in pain anymore!

" 'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.' " -Revelation 21:4

She will be greatly missed!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

What am amazing woman! Your words were beautiful... I know she is smiling down on you!

Melissa said...

What a lovely tribute! Thanks for sharing with all of us.